Friday, May 6, 2011

Donkey Kong Country Returns Review

Hello! Donkey Kong Country Returns is a 2.5D side-scrolling platformer with A LOT of bananas. But is it so good it will make you go bananas? Let's find out.

Presentation:
There's a lot of worlds to explore. Ranging from jungles, beaches and even caves. There are also KONG letters and puzzle pieces to collect. But personally, I don't care about that 100% completion stuff. I just care about beating the game. The game isn't too overwhelming, neither is it underwhelming. The controls were perfect; I had no problems with them. I give this a 90.

Sound: Just awesome, all the tracks are different. But follow a type of theme. There's so many tracks to listen to. But the best track of the bunch is the final boss theme. But I'm not spoiling it for you. So you'll have to listen to it on your own. The score is 100.

Graphics:
I LOVE the graphics for this game. They are colorful and fun. But there are some flaws. The DK and Diddy models look perfect. When I said flaws, I meant the menu screen. But who cares. I give this a 96.

Gameplay:
HARD. HARD. HARD. Did you hear I just said HARD. The game is challenging. Not Japanese SMB2 challenging. But won't take you 2 hours to beat. Anyways, where was I? I've played the original DKC. And I saw they did a very good job of bringing back nostalgia. The gameplay is very fun and intuitive. I give this a 98.

Preservation:
As I said, I'm not a 100% completion guy. But, I think the levels are worth coming back to. There's also a time attack mode where you can get through a level as fast as you can. I give this a 90.

Overall:
This is a wonderful game. I recommend buying it to anybody who liked the DKC series back in their childhood. But if you don't like a challenge, maybe just rent it. The overall score is 94, with the title of "Awesome"